The Friends have improved Athenaeum library services with these recent purchases and services.
- A Courtesy Charging Station, installed in the library’s Food Zone, provideing 8 charging connectors (2 Apple Lightning; 2 Apple 30-pin; 3 micro USB; and 1 mini USB) for patron self service charging of phones and other personal devices.
- New toy trucks for the Children's Library
- Professional landscape improvements were made to areas surrounding the library (Summer 2014)
-A new Auditorium stage curtain was purchased (Cost: $2,377) by the Friends to replace the previous curtain, original to this 1974 building and well beyond its serviceable years. (Summer 2012)
-The Friends supported the Call Me Melville summer arts program with special childrens' programming. (July/August 2012)
- New toys for the Children's Library: zoo animals; dinosaurs;
magnetic letters; and large, colorful snap-together beads. (October 2011)
- A nook color available to library patrons for one-week loan. (September 2011)
- A freshwater aquarium for the Children's Library. (September 2011)
- With a grant from the Friends of the Berkshire Athenaeum, a special committee under the Pittsfield School Department developed a cross-discipline, multi-grade curriculum for the 250th Anniversary of Pittsfield. Available through the School Department's website, classes and school have used this curriculum in many creative ways during the first half of 2011.
- Benches at both library entrances for the comfort of patrons waiting for a ride, enjoying fair weather, or making use of the Athenaeum wifi service.
professional portrait of the Athenaeum was commissioned from local watercolorist Marge Bride.
- Flowers are planted annually on both library Reading Terraces and at the Athenaeum's Main Entrance.
The Athenaeum's piano is routinely tuned.
- Seasonal floral arrangements greet visitors at the Main Entrance.
- Computer Mounts were purchased for the Children's Library service desk, allowing staff to better serve young patrons.
- Wall-mounted outdoor ashtrays installed to minimize litter.
- Die cuts purchased to enhance Children's Library craft programs.
- Three current models of eBook readers purchased (Amazon Kindle; Barnes & Noble nook; and Sony Reader), as well as eBook titles.
- Shopping baskets provided for patron convenience in selecting items.
- Benezit Dictionary of Artists (14 volumes) was purchased for the Reference Department. (First English-language edition)
- The Friends are a Supporting partner of Pittsfield's 250th Anniversary celebration.
- Major financial and programming support was provided for 2011 Pittsfield Reads! community reading project.
- The Friends fund the Museum Pass program, providing free passes to library borrowers for over a dozen local venues.
- A pair of leather wing chairs were chosen for the Children's Library to enhance the comfort of parents reading with their little ones.
- The Friends purchased a redesigned Reference Desk suitable for contemporary service needs.
- A water cooler made available for Staff Lounge.
- Refreshments provided for various library programs and meetings.