36RD ANNUAL SHORT STORY WRITING CONTEST FOR CHLDREN
SPONSORED BY THE BERKSHIRE ATHENAEUM & THE FRIENDS OF THE BERKSHIRE ATHENAEUM
The Berkshire Athenaeum and The Friends of the Berkshire Athenaeum are pleased to announce the 36th Annual Short Story Writing Contest for Children. Contest opens Monday, May 5, 2014. Entry Form available below and also at the Children’s desk. There will be three divisions (Aged 5 – 6 years as of June 1, 2014; Aged 7 - 8 years as of June 1, 2014; and Aged 9 –10 years as of June 1, 2014). If there are not at least ten (10) entries in a division, it may be combined with another.
Depending upon entries received, the following prizes will be awarded in each division: First Place will receive a $35.00 cash prize, Second Place will receive a $25.00 cash prize, and Honorable Mentions will receive $20.00 cash prizes.
Stories will be judged on their originality, appeal, and writing style. Each contestant should submit her/his story to the Berkshire Athenaeum Children’s Library (One Wendell Avenue, Pittsfield, MA 01201); and all entries, whether delivered in person or by mail, must be received by 4:00 PM on Monday, July 21, 2014.
Winning entries, honorable mentions and works of merit will be bound and added to the collection of the Berkshire Athenaeum, so community members may read and enjoy them! All entries become property of the Berkshire Athenaeum. Winners will be notified by telephone, and a list of winners will also be posted in the Children’s Library after August 18, 2014.
A reception for ALL participants, family and friends will be held on Friday, August 22, 2014 at 1:00 PM. The speaker will be Jenn Smith, a full-time reporter for the Berkshire Eagle and a graduate of Syracuse University. Jenn has dedicated her time to covering stories involving children, families and education. Refreshments to follow.
* * * * * * * * * * * *
1. Your story must be your own original work.
2. Type your story (minimum 12 point font), or PRINT it in INK as neatly as possible (Entrants should type or print stories themselves if at all feasible; age-appropriate spelling & grammar mistakes, etc. are acceptable).
3. Use 8-1/2 x 11 inch paper, leaving a 1-1/2 inch margin on the left side.
4. Use only one side of the paper.
5. Do not write your name on your story: Please fill out and attach the entry form below.
PLEASE USE A PAPERCLIP. STAPLES ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE.
6. Limit your story to FOUR (4) pages and NUMBER EACH PAGE (do not number any cover pages).
7. DO NOT INCLUDE ANY ARTWORK .
8. Only one story may be submitted per person and must be the work of one individual.
9. All entries, whether dropped off in person or mailed, must be received by the Berkshire Athenaeum
Children’s Library (1 Wendell Avenue, Pittsfield, MA 01201) by 4:00 PM on July 21, 2014.
10. Participant or parent must be a library card holder in Berkshire County, Massachusetts.
STORIES NOT FOLLOWING THESE RULES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
CUT AND CLIP TO YOUR STORY
AGE AS OF JUNE 1, 2014: ________________ NUMBER OF PAGES: __________
TITLE OF STORY: _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
STREET/P.O. BOX # CITY STATE ZIP CODE
TELEPHONE NUMBER/S: ____________________________________________________________
I, ______________________________________________________, give permission for my child's name to be published in the the newspaper and on the Berkshire
SIGNATURE OF PARENT/LEGAL GUARDIAN DATE
* * * * * * * * * * * *
LIBRARY USE ONLY - ENTRY NUMBER: __________________